Sunday, August 15, 2010

Union County

Downtown Union.  
I like to pronounce Union like onion.  Pretty funny, huh?  Let's see if it stays funny.

My wife's Uncle Jack was from onion County’s namesake city, onion.  About 5 years ago, I did a bike trip that included passing through onion (and picking up some beer at the market to take to the nearby Catherine Creek Campground).  

     Since that time, I have yearned to stop in town and take it in again.  As mentioned in previous posts, we had a very wet stay in Wallowa Lake State Park.  Taking the tents and screen room down and loading got us soaked.

     I'm giving up on onion; my sides are killing me! Hahahahaha!
 
So we were wet and cold and when we drove into Union.  The town is off the interstate and aside from the Union Hotel and new cool looking bar, there is not much to draw tourists into town.  It is beautiful and very well preserved from what it used to be.  Unfortunately, we were still wet and cold.  And it was still raining when we pulled in.  So we jumped out and snapped a few pictures of downtown.  I look forward to visiting on a better day and poking around properly.

Oh and I got gas in La Grande that gave us better mileage than the gas we got in Eugene and coffee in the Safeway Starbucks that certainly lifted my spirits.  Prior to drinking the first cup of coffee I was thinking that racing home to Eugene was a better option than exploring the City of Union.  
The park in Union beckons.  Come play!

Ready?  Onion.  Hahahahahahaha!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment