Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Morrow County

I believe when I looked up the top things to do in Morrow County, getting gas at the Shell station just off the freeway is in the top three.  Rounding out the list...tipping cows and kissing cousins.  Actually, that may have been Joey Morrow.

On the day of our visit the wind wasn’t too bad considering how many windmills mark the drive along the interstate.  The sun was shining as we pulled into the Shell gas station at the Boardman exit. I was hoping to stretch the gas interval to nearby Pendleton but a split second decision pulled me off the interstate.  Upon arrival, the dog declared his presence to all who dared smell his urine.  Bugs picked up in other counties were squeegeed off the windshield and our lunch debris was left in the trash as a sign that we'd been there.

This Morrow is home to around 11,700 people, covers a little over 2,049 square miles and the highest point is 1,900'.  The county seat is located in the city of Heppner.  Wheat farming and growing cows is what goes on there.  There's a coal plant that is showering the area with mercury and also a munitions dump with bunkers of deteriorating canisters of nerve gas.

Actually today I was told by someone in the know that there is a nice beach near the Port of Morrow and trails for biking.  I may return to Morrow County!

1 comment:

  1. By the time I get to Boardman, I'm ready for a tin of snoose. Grizzly. Straight. Long Cut.

    ReplyDelete