Friday, September 3, 2010

Lincoln County

I went fishing in late May with my son, a friend and her husband on the Siletz River near Moonshine Park.  It was my first time (and only time so far) fishing for steelhead.  My preparation required obtaining and salmon/steelhead tag, to the tune of $25.  I got up at 3 in the morning and Evan & I headed to Moonshine Park.  Memorable moments include a large nocturnal bird, perhaps an owl, flew into the top of our windshield.  My tag doesn't allow the harvesting of owls so we hope it managed to survive the grazed windshield. 


Moonshine Park is a Lincoln County park that is quite a ways up the Siletz River (east of Siletz) and is not that easy to find.  We were meeting at 6 at the park.  I paid the day use fee only to discover we were leaving the park to an undisclosed location nearby.   We fished for a few hours in a drizzle with nary a nibble on anybody’s line.  We parted ways a little after 9.  We suspect our intelligence was flawed (somebody telling a fish story?) and the steelhead did't start running yet.


Evan & I headed to Yaquina Bay to try our luck at clamming and it was a minus tide.  We got there after the tide started coming in and I did not have a very good rake to look for cockle clams but I did have a small shovel to look for gapers.  I did manage to find a cockle clam (small) and a few butter clams (small).  So we went to the fish cleaning station with 3 small clams while others were cleaning much a more impressive collection of clams.


We took them home and ate about one small bite each of clam.    

1 comment:

  1. I would be more inclined to think about moving to Oregon if every county's writeup didn't include rain.

    ReplyDelete